Monday, February 20, 2006

Back to School

I'd been contemplating taking either the Master Gardener or UBC Garden Design program for some time now.

I'm happy to say that I applied and was accepted to the UBC program. I have my student orientation tonight, and start the first course, "The History and Theory of Garden Design," in March.

I'm so excited! This will be the first time I study something that's just for me. The way I look at it, I can't lose. I'm not going into it with the intention of becoming a garden designer (although, if I discover that I'm skilled at it and love doing it, why not?). I just want to be a more informed gardener and more informative garden writer, and to share what I'm learning with my blog readers. And it can't hurt that my new garden will reap the benefits of my new-found knowledge, can it?

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I'm tempted to attend the Michigan School of Gardening courses, both to acheive a piece of paper at last, and for personel enrichment.

It's very tempting.
But this year I am juggling a business start up, so I will have to live vicariously through your school adventures. Do keep us posted!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

OOoh, I'm so jealous. I'm doing the master gardener program and loving it, but I know I'll want more, like a great design course. Keep us updated. Susan

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

How exciting! I would love to go to school just for the fun of it. Though now it would be for photography instead of gardening. I'm sure you will love it and will meet tons of great people.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - new reader here, and congrats on getting into the program! Can't wait to hear about it.

8:32 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Update: I have to take a drafting course. With my acceptance letter, they said they "strongly recommended" it but I was like, "well, I took that in grade 8." But at the Orientation on Monday it seemed like I wouldn't be able to fake it... so I'm starting that this Saturday. Oh joy.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ah, drafting. That thing I do on my computer all day.

Good luck with it!
Having the earlier course will be helpful, at least!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Sounds like fun. But drafting? This is some serious garden design you're getting into!

I loved the Master Gardening Program.

I'm more into the plant side of gardening, so I'm tempted to take some horticulture classes someday...

8:19 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Good luck with your course. I'm sure you will gain so much from it - not just knowledge, but also confidence and pleasure.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home