Thursday, January 12, 2006

Container water gardens


There are three - count 'em - three ponds where I live now (mind you, it's a half-acre property). I love the ponds. I love the sound of the waterfalls, I love the waterlilies that bloom in the summer, and I really love the koi. Kids get such a kick out of feeding them; some of the bigger guys are so tame, they'll eat out of your hand!

So, when I become a city girl once again, I'm contemplating the addition of a small water garden. I won't be able to keep koi, but I look forward to growing some water plants. Unfortunately, most plants, especially those gorgeous waterlilies, want sunshine - and lots of it. I doubt I'll get the required six-hours daily to keep them happy.

But I've read that there are some water plants that do well in shade and are also small enough for a container water garden, such as floatering water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes), sweet flag (Acorus calamus), water mint (Mentha aquatica), Parrot feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum), and broad-leaved taro (Alocasia or Colocasia spp.) for example.

Oh how I love a gardening challenge!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got water lettuce in one of my ponds - and I have to throw lumps away every couple of weeks because it's so prolific - so beware.

I have a container pond as well as a regular pond...and in that one I generally grow water cress and parrots feather...that pond takes a lot less care than the conventional pond!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Ohh, keep posting on this. I've been toying with a container pond idea for a year now but I can't seem to pull the trigger. "What about mosquitos?" my practical Houstonian mind says...

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A garden challenge is the heart of gardening I suppose. I had a container water garden in my city garden--it looked like a big Vietnamese kettle & held quite a bit in it--I angled it where the most sun was. It was wonderful & easy to care for.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

You must be getting very excited to move into your new place. Also to go on your trip. Lots for you to look forward too! Have fun!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Yes, I'd love to hear more about this, too. My college friend had little goldfish and a few water plants in a large container, and it looked like much fun!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home