Monday, February 13, 2006

How to make seed balls

At the Seattle Flower and Garden Show this weekend, these Seedballz reminded me of a personal project, dormant while I lived in the suburbs, but ripe for rebirth now that I've moved back to Vancouver (well, sort of. We're still moving!).

Seed balls are a method of sowing seeds that apparently originated with our First Nations people. To protect seeds from being blown away or eaten by birds, they'd hide seeds inside little balls of clay.

Regular readers will recall that I have a bit of a fascination with guerilla gardening, so it won't come as a surprise that the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the Seedballz booth at the Show was, "Those would be perfect for chucking into empty lots!" Except I wasn't about to pay $6.50 for a package. So I googled "seed balls" and two seconds later, had my own recipe for making seed balls!

For my next spare moment. LOL.

7 Comments:

Blogger Susan Harris said...

VERY COOL.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy F-ing Shizzlez YES!

I'm gonna be a guerilla gardner too someday. ^_^

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question... I am putting together mint balls with 7 varieties of mint in the mixture. Thought it would make a nice gift. A 1/4 of a cup of mint seeds is, like a million seeds. Do you think I should make the balls smaller? The number of seeds fewer?

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a couple of questions! Where do I find dry clay at? I am having trouble locating it. Do you think that flour clay would work?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am having problems finding dry clay. Do you know of a source?

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just "google" terracotta dry clay. I came up with sellers: Amazon, Toyrus, and several craft stores.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I put these seed balls in an area taken over by mother nature? There is no way to prep this area.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home