Friday, March 31, 2006

Cherry blossom time

the long road
boughs of white blossoms
light the way

Helen Baker
North Vancouver, British Columbia


This is one of my favourite times of the year; of course, there's the beauty of the spring garden and the potential it holds, but it's also a time that makes me feel extra blessed to live in Vancouver because of the Japanese flowering cherry trees.

Our most common street tree, Vancouver has over 36,000 Japanese flowering cherries. This year, some lovely people decided to start the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival in celebration. You can take plein-air painting classes under the trees, order a blossom picnic, check the website for updates on what's blooming where, and read the submissions for the haiku contest (like the winner of Best Canadian Poem, above).

2 Comments:

Blogger Puget4 said...

Hello Andrea. I am Puget4 and I live at sea level on Puget Sound, Washington, USA. I have been reading your blog for a little while and I am enjoying your pictures and your writings.

I had no idea Vancouver has so many of these lovely trees. Makes me want to hop on I-5 and head north for a first hand view. It must be amazing.

Thanks for letting me post a comment.

8:03 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Hello, neighbour! Thanks for leaving a comment, and welcome. Vancouver is welcoming anytime, but this certainly a good time to visit.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home