Friday, March 24, 2006

The sacred garden

I'm happiest in nature.

It shouldn't come as such a surprise to me to realise this. In a world I've often struggled to make peace with, I've always felt most calm, most content, in the forest or garden. Sometimes, when I work in the garden, it feels like a holy rite. Something sacred. It's like a great wave of peace and joy washes over me, and I emerge, cleansed.

In my garden design course this week, we learned about the history of Japanese garden design, and the common thread informing its progression: Shinto. Shinto involves the worship of kami, which can be translated to mean "sacred spirits which take the form of things and concepts important to life, such as wind, rain, mountains, trees, rivers and fertility." Practitioners have a profound love of nature: they believe nature is sacred, and to be in contact with nature is to be close to the Gods. This love and respect for natural elements has informed Japanese garden design for centuries.

I'm mixing religious metaphors, but perhaps in a past life I was Shinto. Sure, most of the time pulling weeds is purely secular, but I'm sure there've been moments of transcendence.

3 Comments:

Blogger kerry said...

My garden is my sanctuary. It calms my soul like nothing else. I once had a dream that I was standing at the edge of my garden very early one morning looking out at it. A gentle wind was blowing across it and into me. It brought a wave of peace with it that seemed to flow through every cell in my body. Yes, the garden is sacred.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

Amen. Susan

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog and will mark it in my Favs to check back and read more later.
Nice photos too!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home