Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Garden aesthetics


So I bought this raised bed kit from Lee Valley Tools for my roof-top veggie garden. I was hoping that it would look as passable as it does in the above photos, but, when I got it home and assembled it, it looked like I had nicked a curbside recycling bin. In short: it's ugly.

But, I reasoned, no one will see it but Ben and me and our occasional guests. But Ben wasn't having any of it. "How am I going to be able to relax on the deck with that thing," he complained.

Which brings me to my rant: why is it so hard to find garden accessories that are sleek, modern and affordable? I can't be the only one who doesn't want - or who's home doesn't suit - rustic chic or "Asian inspired"?

Hmm. Maybe there's a business idea there somewhere.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

Do you know anyone who could make a cedar frame to go around the thing and cover the plastic? Or maybe windowbox planters around the base?

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have a 50's contemporary house, a veggie garden with stone raised beds, and all the self-watering containers look terrible.

But, I ordered 6 self-watering containers from Gardener's Supply and plan to use spray paint for plastic to make them look passable. I think I'll go with either bright red or navy blue.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you on the lack of aesthetic diversity in garden containers--and I've never understood why some people think that you have to sacrifice form for function, or that they aren't equally important in a garden.

How about covering the plastic with strips of copper flashing? I may be misjudging the size, but it looks like 3 horizontal strips should do it.

Or, use scrap wood to create a little base into which you can slide 12x12 floor tiles (slate, faux marble, whatever) on end. From the side, it would look like this: _|_|_ You would only have to set that in front of the container to hide it...

9:24 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Fabulous ideas, girls! Thanks so much.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have wondered about ordering this same container & another one that is green & similar...I can understand the unhappiness with its looks. I don't know if it would work on black plastic, but several years back I used patina paint that survives outside to cover a huge ugly brown plastic pot and one of those big ugly fake styrofoam(?)-type carved pots I was given as a gift. The green patina took & you'd swear I'd left something out over the years. The paint has stayed probably five years & aged in a nice way...

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home