Monday, March 20, 2006

For want of a pot

Spring has definitely sprung here in Vancouver. It was a glorious, sunny weekend, and I finally got started on my garden plans. The first order of business, I decided, was to buy some new containers for the soon-to-be kitchen garden right outside, well, the kitchen. Since this is a highly-visible location (on our front patio) I wanted all my containers to have a similar look that would unify them.

Admittedly, this was inspired by a gorgeous display using AW Pottery at the NorthWest Flower and Garden Show. So, rejecting my usual jumble of terracotta, galvinized aluminum and "found" planters, I decided that a matte black ceramic would be perfect for this sophisticated townhouse.

Several trying hours ensued as I set off to find said containers. I tried my local nursery, Figaro's Garden. I tried David Hunter, Moe's, Bloomfields, and even Home Depot. The only result was frustration. I saw tons of planters, but every store seemed to carry the same ho-hum designs (except Bloomfields, which had gorgeous stuff but seemed targeted to the grossly rich. $50 for a 4" pot? Do I look like I'm INSANE?). Okay, there are still a number of nurseries I can visit, but why is it I can say "yes!" to the first wedding dress I try on, but can't find a damn pot? Is there some secret container shop I don't know about? Or should I just have a yard of soil dumped on the patio?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kasmira said...

Did you try Smith and Hawken? If you don't have a store in your area, maybe your Target is carrying their stuff. Ours is. They have some gorgeous copper pots. Quite sophisitcated!

12:32 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for the tip, Kasmira. Unfortunately, we don't have either store in Canada (or at least in Vancouver) but I'm going to Seattle next weekend and I'll see if I can check it out.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Try Costco - If you act fast, they have gorgeous square fiberglass planters - 18x18 - for 30.00...

You'll have to drill a drainage hole, but I was seriously drooling over them. Very nice pieces.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home