Monday, November 07, 2005

Top 10 Herbs

Over at his Amateur Gardening blog, Stuart Robinson lists the ten must-have herbs from a chef's perspective. There's the usual basil, rosemary and oregano, but also lemongrass and even borage (I'll admit, I never knew what to do with borage. But that's why I'm not a chef).

Stuart, why no parsley? It's my standby. In fact, I think in all seriousness I could just plant parsley, basil, rosemary, thyme and chives and I'd be good to go. Of course, it's never limited to that. I always plant stuff that looks good at the nursery and then never have a use for it. I'd love to grow cilantro, and I do every year, but it always goes to seed faster than you can say Coriandrum sativum.

And I love to grow unusual edibles. I think, using the instructions here, I'll grow lemongrass next year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

Andrea - I'm honoured that you would write about a topic I've discussed and even link to me - cheers!

Why no parsley? I guess after cutting a million bunches in my career as a chef, you begin to look for more exciting herbs. Don't get me wrong - parsley is still part of the mix (especially Italian leaf). I would trade parsley easily for something far more aromatic and distinctive any day!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home