Sunday, October 30, 2005

Mushrooms!



I have kind of a love-hate relationship with mushrooms. I grew up loathing them; being forced to try "just one more bite" before I could leave the table. Now I largely like them; shiitake, oyster, enoki... anything but the bland, styrofoamy "white mushroom." Oh, and they all have to be cooked before they cross my palette.

Nevertheless, I find myself wanting to grow my own. I love the idea of being able to harvest something as exotic and gourmet as shiitakes, or Chicken of the Woods for that matter.

As you can see from these photos, I actually do grow my own. Except I'm not trying to. And I can't eat them because I have no idea what they are and don't feel like dying from a toxic mushroom. But I love them! I don't understand why people want to eliminate them.


These make me want to find a miniature gnome or Smurf figurine and give it a home.


You can buy shiitake starter kits at Dominion Seed House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home