Monday, November 28, 2005

Heronswood

It's kind of lame that I've never visited Heronswood, Dan Hinkley and Robert Jones' Kitsap Penninsula, Washington nursery, especially since we're only a couple hours away.

I heard Dan speak at a Vancouver Rose Society talk a few years ago - he's a delightful speaker. And from what I've heard and seen in photographs, the garden is delightful, too.

While I'm tempted to wait until the spring to visit, winter might be a good time as well. I love seeing gardens in the winter when they're so bare-bones. It's a great way to look at the underlying structure in a garden without being over-wowed by flowers and foliage. And, of course, it's a great time to check out plants for winter interest.

Read a NY Times story on Heronswood here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

I agree with you Andrea. Nearly anyone can make a garden that flowers well in one season (namely Spring) but it takes a true genius to make it look good all year round.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

Here, here. And I'm jealous you live so close. How about some photos? Fodder for a possible PNW trip for me next season.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hi Andrea, I've been into Dan Hinkley for years now. I have several of his nursery catalogues beside my bed for evening reading. (I know I really should get a life). His writing is so enjoyable. He also is a big hit with Martha Stewart who gets alot of her plants from him. If I ever get close to his nursery I'll diffently check it out. He has the most beautiful double hellebores. A man after my own heart!!!! I have just recently put a link on my site to his nursery.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home