Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pyramidal European Hornbeam


The garden in our new townhouse comes "fully landscaped;" I tried to see if they'd just leave it unplanted, but apparently it's not an option they've ever heard of. Anyway, the tree that the landscape designer chose for our yard is a Pyramidal European Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus ‘Fastigiata’). It wouldn't be my first choice of tree; it looks kind of... bleh. And I'm currently enamoured of the Coral Bark Maple (Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku') in my mom's yard because it looks so lovely in the winter garden. But I'm willing to give the hornbeam a chance. Has anyone had any experience with this tree?

Photo of the hornbeam borrowed from Charlies Creek Nursery.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleh is right. I wonder if a nursery would take it for credit on something beautiful, like the maple you want.
Takoma Gardener from a remote computer.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kasmira said...

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I believe this is the tree that was planted on the street I grew up on. Personally, I think they're ugly young and they are still ugly 25 years later. I wouldn't have the heart to remove it, though.

We never gave ours a bit of care and they thrived. If you're looking for a low-maintenance tree, I believe this is it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for your feedback Takoma Gardener and Kasmira... It's a difficult decision cause I don't want to be the one who pisses off the strata council... but I also really believe that the right tree in a small space makes all the difference.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hornbeam takes well to pruning. The great estates in Europe used hornbeam for living sculpture gardens. Actually, I think they can get quite large and may end up being too big for a small condo garden. But prune it, and it may entertain you. Kasmira is right, a bullet proof tree.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm hoping for some beautiful yellow fall color. go hornbeam!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home