Friday, December 30, 2005

New year's resolutions for the garden

1. I will be patient. I will get to know my new plot of land1 before rushing to fill it with trend-of-the-minute plants. Please note, however, that I do not have the ability to wait for a full year, as some garden authorities recommend, to note sun exposure. I know my limitations.
2. I will have my soil tested, and amend as necessary.
3. I will be highly selective about the plants I allow into the garden. I have about 200 sq/ft of ground-floor garden to play with, and every plant will have to work hard to earn its place. I want four-season interest, impact, and - I'm dreaming here - edible bits.
4. I will apply for an allotment, now that I won't have enough room to grow my veggies anymore.
5. I will visit Vancouver's public gardens more often.
6. I will take on a boulevard planting in our new neighbourhood.
7. Get out and enjoy the garden - without feeling the need to suddenly start pruning or weeding.

I think that's about it for now. What are your garden resolutions?

1 We are scheduled to move in to our new home on January 30. Yay!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Number 7 is a great resolution! I need to think less about the "to do list" for the garden and spend more time enjoying what's growing already.

Weeds and overgrown shrubs add character...

10:05 AM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

I'm thinking #7 is a great resolution because it's impossible. Especially in a new garden. But what fun, too.
I haven't thought about resolutions but already I'm following a new one - tolerating no ugliness in my garden. I may be giving in to my obsessiveness but hey, it's in the name of beauty! So in the spring I'll remove the Bradford pear I hate (and which won't last much longer, anyway) and replace it with a grove of conifers.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Andrea, I'm thinking you've got a busy year ahead of you. I thought of doing a resolution list until I saw yours and realised that getting out of bed was possibly achievable this year for me.

Hope they all resolve.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home