Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Moss Graffiti


I'll just say it right off the bat: I love moss. I've always loved it. When I was a kid, there was a clearing in the forest I lived next to, and in the centre was a stone absolutely thick with the most beautiful emerald-green moss. I was convinced (and still secretly believe) that faeries congregated there. It was definitely a magical place.

So I really don't understand the effort expended to rid lawns of moss. My father-in-law, upon seeing my sad excuse for a lawn for the first time, said, "you need some moss killer." Horrified, I replied, "But I love the moss! I'm trying to get rid of the grass!"

Anyway, I came across a novel use for moss and thought I'd share: moss graffiti. It'd be a great use for all that moss starter medium you've been brewing up. You haven't? Oh. Well, you might want to try it if you've got a bare-looking log or rock in nice shady, damp area in your garden, or if you want to make your terracotta pots look aged, or if you'd like to start a moss garden. Here's my recipe:

Quick Moss Starter

  • Take a clump (a small handful) of healthy moss from your yard (or ask a neighbour for some if you don't have any) and crumble it into a blender.
  • Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water
  • Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake (add water if necessary)
  • Paint the mixture onto rocks, logs, pots or statuary, or simply pour it on the ground wherever you'd like your moss to grow

So, the idea of moss graffiti is that you apply this moss milkshake to your chosen canvas and create a design or object out of moss (as in the photo above). Imagine the possibilities! I'm picturing moss wallpaper a la William Morris (outdoors, of course!)

Via Make.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really want to try the Quick Moss Starter! Buttermilk--wow! My lawn is full of moss rather than grass (I don't mind) & I have been wondering how to move it elsewhere to make other mossy areas. I am visiting you for the first time & have enjoyed the visit. I like your photos too!

6:22 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for visiting, Judith!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Susan Harris said...

VERY cool.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Moss wallpaper - neat idea.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

What a cute idea!

I noticed at the link that they used beer. I heard someone else recommend giving plants some beer. What's the deal with getting plants drunk? I guess they like the sugar.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home